The Incident of the Blundering Blogger

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Rants Of A Nostalgic Fool




I remember sitting in the verandah, staring at space, sipping coffee and wondering whether I will ever make any friends. This was the day before I joined university. For once those to whom I would normally run with the simplest of problems were not available. I was lonely, I was miserable. It was a time when I was afraid. In fact, I wanted to wish these thoughts away so badly that I watched "Tarzan the Wonder Car". Yes. That was how desperate I was.

I have grown up in a multi-storied building with about six or seven people of roughly the same age as mine. I don't remember how or when we became friends, but I know without them woudn't be the person I am today. These were the people whom I could depend on. I had boundless faith in them, and knew that they would never let me down.

It was a building filled with laughter and energy. We would have some game or the other every day. When it was raining, we would just sit in the shade and talk. We would talk for hours about this, that and everything. Durga Puja would hold a special attraction for us. It was a time when we did not have any studies. It was a time we were free. It was a time to get together and while the day and the night away. What we did during those five days I have very little recollection of but I know that those were the days I would give anything to get back. The building was the centre of our world. It was the place where our friendship grew. It was a place which insulated us from the rest of the big bad world.

Today the building is dead. There are no sounds of laughter. Where's the kid with the football? Where are those that were sitting against the pillars and laughing about some joke which not even remotely funny? Where are those who felt lucky because they belonged? Some of them have gone away to study in other cities or other countries. Some have grown tired waiting for a reply. Some, like me, have tried to break these bonds and move on but failed miserably. These are bonds that we forged and ones that would remain. No. "Tarzan - The Wonder Car" would not help me now.

I am a fool.

18 Comments:

  • very very ...(i miss the word) moving,yes moving.
    well,for once i can't help but agree,but only ths once.joining this university meant pretty much th same thing to me too.
    it suddenly seemed that all my very close friends were drifting apart even though some are still in the city others accessible thanx 2 the world wide web. am nostalgic about that brilliant phase of my life too but i can't thank God or whosoever it concerns enough 4 my friends here in th univ.i think i am very lucky 2 have each and every one of u guys around,guess that includes u too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:47 PM  

  • touching

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:03 PM  

  • "Amrita" - Is that Amrita??

    Well everybody seems to have felt doubtful about university.. I didn't this time round.. I felt the same 4 years ago while shifting schools..

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:19 PM  

  • @amrita: Guess I'm lucky to have a friend like you too :)

    @b(h)oots: Thanks

    @Insiya: Hope that explains the part about 'Tarzaan the Wonder Car'

    @bored:...

    @"sen": laddu's the one to the extreme left. And that's not the normal amrita BTW.

    By Blogger bilu, at 11:43 PM  

  • very moving indeed.

    By Blogger ziggetyzoo, at 10:45 PM  

  • There is no way out of emotion.

    By Blogger La Figlia Che Piange, at 12:02 AM  

  • sen--expected better sense frm u...of course thats not the normal me.
    insy--not normal,but me 4 sure.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:06 AM  

  • Amrita - Like Bilu's last blog even you've started repeating the same thing over and over again in active and passive voice!!

    Happy New Year to all.. I'm going to sleep through it.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:34 AM  

  • happy new year to every one.
    insy--i would rather not comment.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:13 AM  

  • awww! someone pass me my wetwipes...no seriously, i am moved. i remember my last summer i spent with you guys before leaving for aussieland (2004 i think). the last couple of days were sooo weird! i had dat horrible feeling dat i'll never get to be with all of you ever again and if we did..it jus wouldnt be the same. and it wuzznt last july. however being with everyone in bulbuli di's wedding was awesome! it was jus likethe old days. too bad i had to leave right then! newayz... u guys have been so great and times spent with u have been so special. i cant be articulate about this and i think u understand why! love u loads.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:54 PM  

  • please visit my blog - someonesomewhere456.blogspot.com

    By Blogger March Hare, at 1:15 AM  

  • this is new, bilu being human with human sentiments, tho the wonder car thing left me in doubt. but i understand perfectly now. those were the kind of emotions that most of us probably felt. But i am glad things turned out the way they did. what wud i do without you lot and specially bilu's pink 'spank me' pants

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:36 AM  

  • Ah..... You're just looking for an excuse to watch "Tarzan the Wonder Car" again!!
    Jokes apart, I've never been quite so fortunate (or unfortunate, seeing how sad Bilu is) to be a part of such a family. The only place I can compare is South Point during classes 9-12. Yeah, I still miss the paper ball cricket matches.... and the mad rush during lunch break, and protecting our lunches by eating as fast as possible.........
    Man Bilu you're lucky that you have a building like this. At least people will still come back...

    Got a suggestion: Create Wes Brown in Raw and beat him up!! It usually helps!!!

    By Blogger Oneiros, at 4:53 PM  

  • best

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:29 PM  

  • best

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:30 PM  

  • best

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:31 PM  

  • best

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:31 PM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home